- To contribute to a balanced and appropriate general education, leading to the personal and social development of students through a study of business and enterprise
- To encourage initiative and self-reliance in each student
- To develop a clear understanding of the role of enterprise, to encourage the development of appropriate enterprise learning skills, and to generate in students a positive and ethical attitude to enterprise in personal, business and public life
- To develop a critical understanding of the overall environment in which business functions
- To help prepare students for participation in a changing business environment for adult and working life and also as a basis for further education
- To develop students' literacy, numeracy, problem-solving and communication skills and to develop an attention to detail in the presentation of information.
- To develop an understanding of the structures, institutions, processes and management of business.
- To enable students to make informed business decisions.
- To enable students to use established commercial principles and knowledge, to critically evaluate commercial information, and to offer solutions to given commercial problems.
- To promote a positive awareness of cultural and social diversity in international business.
- To enable students to understand and appreciate ethics in business.
The Leaving Cert Business Senior Cycle curriculum comprises of seven units:
- Unit 1: People in Business
- Unit 2: Enterprise
- Unit 3: Management 1
- Unit 4: Management 2
- Unit 5: Business in Action
- Unit 6: Domestic Environment
- Unit 7: International Environment
New and Revised sections of the Leaving Cert Business Syllabus
The new Business syllabus is designed to be more integrated with a vocational dimension and an emphasis on the importance of people skills in business. Leaving Certificate Business comprises three sections:
- People in business
- Business environment
Revised and new sections of the course:
- People in business
- Management activities
- Business start-up / identifying business opportunities
- Community development
- Business and the economy
- Social responsibilities of business
- International trade / marketing