- To assess the students career interests and ability using a Careers Interest Test and CAT4 aptitude test.
- To assist students in researching a career sector of interest, working individually and within a group and presenting the information through a PowerPoint Presentation.
- To assist students in developing Professional skills in Curriculum Vitae preparation and Job Applications which will lead to effective choices and decisions about their lives.
- To make informed choices about their future career options, with regards to subjects at Leaving Certificate level.
Pupils at the end of Transition Year should be able to:
- Understand where their aptitude and Career Interests lie.
- Students will have investigated a career sector extensively, following a list of guidelines.
- Have developed confidence from activities such as college visits, open days, mock interviews, CVs and Job Applications as part of their guidance programme.
- Develop good background knowledge of software packages such as Qualifax, Careers Portal etc. which will enable them to access the most up-to-date career information via the internet.
- Make an informed choice with regards to subjects at Leaving Certificate level.
Duration of Subject/Module
- One Class per week
Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Formal input by teacher
- Group work and discussions
- Independent learning
- Pupil’s experiences
- Subject Content and Subject Choices available at Roscommon Community College
- Research Skills in Career Sectors
- Preparation for Work Experience
- Third Level colleges
- Career choices and students aptitudes
- I.C.T. Teacher
- Business Teacher
- LCVP Teacher
- English Teachers
- TY Coordinator
Links with other subjects
- Business Studies
- Learning Support Teacher
Marking of Module
- Career Sector Analysis 70% (Individual Marking Scheme Provided)
- Curriculum Vitae 10%
- Job Application 10%
- Class Preparation 10%