Green-Schools in Ireland is operated and co-ordinated by the Environmental Education Unit of An Taisce (FEE member for Ireland), in partnership with Local Authorities throughout the country.
Green-Schools is a themed and seven-step programme.
THE SEVEN STEPS:
We, in the Roscommon Community College, are currently working on our sixth green flag. The theme is Global Citizenship with an emphasis on Litter and Waste. Having elected a green flag committee we are working on many projects including the following ;
- Sorting and Recycling litter and waste on the school grounds.
- Sorting and recycling within the school building.
- Reviewing the adapted areas (areas that are used by students at lunch time outside the school grounds).
- Environmental reviews.
- Fair Trade project.
- Reducing our carbon footprint.
- Projects to encourage Biodiversity (restoring natural habitats)
- Projects on threats on our local Biodiversity.
- Monitoring the lights in the school.
- Creating awareness of water wastage.
- Green flag global awareness survey.
- Survey of nationalities in our school communities.
- Dedicated Nationality Day.
- Reduce paper wastage (e.g. TY mini company – making fire logs , reducing photocopying).